If you follow me on twitter, then you know I’m a green-juicing-junkie. I don’t just “think” it works to banish cravings, alkalinize, energize, detoxify and infuse my cells with a mega-dose of nutrients, I know so! It literally changed my body and my skin – Dr. Oz is a fan of juicing too. If you saw his article in TIME magazine last week, it is one of the health tips he recommends. I have gladly converted many of my clients to fanatical juicers too and they have all experienced incredible benefits.
Proof in the puff: Here’s the thing…When I look back at photos of me from years ago, I was “puffy” in the face but yet, not a pound difference weight-wise. I was puffy from inflammation (ie. eating too much sugar) and green juice is very cooling to the body.
Now you might think that juicing is only for the Spring/Summer because of it’s cooling effect on the body, but adding some warming ingredients such as ginger, beets, carrots, cinnamon, cayenne and garlic make it totally doable all year round. Here’s the recipe I had yesterday:
- 4 stalks of organic celery
- 1 whole cucumber (it was small)
- Chunk of ginger (about 2 thumb-sizes)
- 1 whole organic lemon (I juiced the whole thing, including the peel which is why I bought organic)
- Half an organic apple
Please keep in mind some important points about juicing:
1. Juicing DOES NOT REPLACE EATING FRESH FRUITS AND VEGETABLES. Why did I ALL CAPS and BOLD that statement? Because many automatically assume it means they don’t have to actually eat their veggies. Forget that! You’ve gotta eat those veggies for all their detoxifying fibre.
2. Do not juice all fruits please! Far too high in the glycemic index sending your blood sugar on a rollercoaster. 80% vegetables and 20% fruits is the rule of thumb for juicing.
3. Juicing is NOT for everyone. If you are on a tight budget, then keep your juicing for when you are having a high stress week, or if you feel like you are coming down with a cold. Use your juices therapeutically.
4. Aim to purchase organic for the items on the dirty dozen list, mentioned in the video below. I did not use organic cucumbers or ginger.
5. It does not replace a meal. This is what you drink on the days you don’t drink lemon and water.
By the way, I was on Global TV’s new Morning Show today and if you missed it, please check out the link because we talk about the Dirty Dozen and Clean 15 which I’ve outlined below. I had so much fun, I hope they have me back!