Your overall health and well-being is affected by many things, not just what you eat. The thoughts you think, the city you live in, your lotions and potions and of course, what you put IN your body. Some of these things are choices and fortunately under our control and some are not.
This post may very well surprise and shock you about something that you wear VERY close to your body and sometimes, inside your body. This is something you can control.
You might be thinking that those tampons and pads you use on a monthly basis created by the likes of large corporations are safe for mama earth and your lady parts, but I’m hear to share some information that perhaps might make you think otherwise.
Unfortunately, some of these big corporations don’t take into consideration the health of the planet or YOUR body – shame on them. Could it be that your constant UTI’s, yeast infections, endometriosis or hormonal issues be in part due to the products you use when your monthly friend visits? Something to consider my joyous friends.
In this video, I share one of my fave brands of organic tampons and pads:
So here’s the deal, the facts:
- Every year, BILLIONS of plastic laden pads and liners are disposed of, often ending up in landfill sites and even the oceans of our world.
- Most of these pads are made from over 90% crude oil plastic which goes on to pollute global environments forever.
- Most tampons and pads are bleached with chlorine which leads to a toxic byproduct called dioxin, which is linked to cancer as it’s a known carcinogen and endometriosis.
- You often see “Elemental chlorine-free bleaching” on a label (also referred to as chlorine-free). This bleaching process is NOT free of chlorine at all but means that it is not a chlorine gas bleaching process! This does not exclude the use of other types of chlorine in the bleaching process. It is easy to be confused when manufacturers play with language in order to confuse you. Grrrrr!
- Recycled cotton any better? Nope. Again… tricky marketing at play. Recycled still cannot be chlorine or pesticide free because there’s no way to ensure that the cotton products recycled were clean.
- Pesticide-residue getting into your lady parts? 26% of the world’s pesticide is sprayed on cotton. These pesticides have been shown to affect the health of wildlife and humans in a devastating way from infertility, hormonal imbalance, even cancer. In third world countries, up to 70% of farm workers are children aged 5-15 and many involved in spraying these potentially cancer-causing chemicals onto the cotton that your tampons are made from. This is just so wrong because these children are being exposed at such a young age.
- If the cord of your tampon has been dyed, then it’s a possible source of toxic heavy metals, thanks to azo dyes.
This is why I love the brand featured in my vid:
Natracare products are made from certified organic and natural, plant-derived materials that are chemical and additive free, and biodegradable, containing only organic and natural ingredients sourced from sound ecologically managed producers and certified free from animal testing.
All products are totally-chlorine free and women can be reassured by the fact that Natracare does not contain any synthetic materials or any chemical additives such as surfactants, fragrances, dyes, or lubricants. Choosing only fully certified organic cotton removes the risk of direct exposure to residues from chemical pesticides, fertilisers, defoliants and fungicides commonly used on conventionally grown cotton.
I asked fellow Plant-Based Coach and Expert Candice Schreiber for her take:
“Organic cotton is the way to go for pads and tampons. I put clean, pesticide free, organic food in my body, why not in my hoo hoo? Also the organic cotton products don’t contain polyester, dyes, fragrances, or other synthetic ingredients found in regular sanitary products. Also organic cotton is better for mama earth!”
Please share this post with your friends and family. Be informed and take care of your joyous beautiful body as naturally as possible!