The answer is a simple yes, detoxing is absolutely necessary for your best health – balanced energy, glowing skin, healthy sex drive, good sleep, weight loss and more. Now more than ever, we are exposed to toxins from the lotions we put on our skin every day, the toothpaste we brush with, the air that we breathe, additives and preservatives in our food supply, pesticides, plastics, and negative thoughts – yes, stress promotes a toxic and acidic body.
It has been estimated that in the last 75 years alone, over 100,000 chemicals have been developed, thanks (well not really) to the big contributors – large corporations. In fact, new chemicals are being developed every single day. According to the Environmental Working Group, by the time the average woman is ready to leave the house in the morning, she has exposed herself to 126 chemical toxins from shampoo, body wash, lotion, cosmetics and the worst offender of all, fragrance. Then what happens? She goes to Starbucks for her liver congesting toxic soup coffee, slathers on some antibacterial wash on her hands when she sits down at her desk breathing in the off-gassing from the carpet and paint, to stare at her computer stressed out all day. Oh dear, I feel stressed just writing that! Do you see my point? Even in a perfect world, if you ate like a Holistic Nutritionist, you would still need to detox because you simply cannot avoid everything.
I do many seminars on the power of detoxifying and my tips do not involve gimmicks like starving yourself for 9 days or sweating naked on a rock in the middle of a desert somewhere in New Mexico, while spending thousands of dollars on a fancy spa. The good news is that detoxifying everyday is super easy, affordable and I’m going to give you my top tips right here!
Eliminate the BIG FIVE for 1-3 weeks:
- Dairy (same goes with soy, actually never eat soy ever again!)
- Caffeine: Green Juice Instead of Coffee
- Alcohol: This is a no-brainer
- Wheat products: Guide to Gluten-Free Eating
- Sugar: Reasons to Kick Your Sugar Habit
Detoxing is a wonderful way to affirm a new way of being, a fresh start to a new YOU. You are not committing to never drink red wine again, you are simply taking a break to evaluate how you feel. I’ve never had a client do a detox and regret it. In fact, most people tell me it changed their life, for the better.
5 Simple Ways to Detoxify Everyday
- Skin brushing – you may have seen my video on this, if not, check it!
- Drinking lemon and water every morning on an empty stomach: Video
- Eat more detoxifying foods: broccoli, kale, beets, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, red cabbage, arugula, lemon, herbal teas
- Spend more time outdoors in nature. This just makes sense. Nature is good for your soul and what is good for your soul is amazing for your body. Breath deeply and take time out to enjoy life. Even just 15 minutes every day.
- Do a friend-detox and remove yourself from people situations who are toxic and negative. Who You Spend Time with is Who You Become.