Good day everyone!
Last week I did a segment on the Morning Show sharing healthy milk alternatives with the lovely Liza Fromer, who has a milk sensitivity herself. As soon as she removed cow's milk from her daily coffee, the belly bloat disappeared.
I wanted to address a few more points that I did not talk about in the video.
As I'm sure you can guess, I do not recommend cow's milk. This sterile white liquid when slurped on a daily basis is a recipe for inflammation, food sensitivities (tummy troubles, acne, eczema, headaches etc) and it's an acidifying food. The milk of today is not the same our great-grandparents were drinking otherwise known as raw milk. It is homogenized, pasteurized, sterilized, bleached (to remove the blood and pus colour -- yes, gross) to make it visually appealing, free of fatty lumps otherwise know as that schlop of fat that used to sit on top and completely free of any bacteria whatsoever.
What we have today is not what I call a health promoting food. Yes, it's a great source of calcium at 300mg per cup, but there are far better options than drinking milk from another mother. I've seen hundreds of clients benefit immensely from removing cow's milk from their diet. In fact, one very recent client cleared up her acne prone skin since childhood ditching milk.
Calcium is important, but it's not the only nutrient to consider.
99% of our bones and teeth are made of calcium. The other 1% is is needed for our heart, muscles, and nerves to function properly and for blood to clot. In fact, 3 to 4 pounds of our body weight is calcium! However, in order for calcium to do it's job you also need vitamin D, magnesium and vitamin K2. If you are considering a calcium supplement because you do not want to drink milk (I don't blame you), then consider a "bone-building" supplement, not just calcium. However, food first, always. In fact, you can adequately get all your nutrients for healthy bones and teeth from food alone provided you eat a wide variety of foods that include calcium and other nutrients. AND provided you avoid the foods that create an acidic body and promote leaching of calcium from the bones in an effort to buffer the acidity.
Despite all the milk slurping people, we have an epidemic of calcium deficiency. Why might this be?
Coffee, alcohol and smoking cause a negative calcium balance in the body; more calcium is lost than is taken in. Pop and soft drinks are extremely high in phosphorus, low in calcium and do a very efficient job throwing off the balance in your body and are a suggested cause of osteoporosis. Both table salt (try unrefined sea salt or himalayan rock salt instead) and refined nasty sugar also aggravate calcium loss.
Research has shown a direct link between a high protein diet and calcium loss.
Again, that dang phosphorus content of meat may cause the body to lose calcium in its attempt to counteract the phosphorus. The average American gets more than enough protein, so for most of us it can only help to cut down on our factory-farmed meat consumption. If you are an omnivore, I highly recommend you practice Meatless Monday! In fact, vegetarian diets are associated with lower risk of osteoporosis, likely because fruits and vegetables are alkalizing, whereas meat is acidifying.
Food Sources of Calcium, plus other bone-building nutrients
How much calcium is enough?
Read Doug Cook's article on this because there are some really great points around supplementation to consider (please note: I do not recommend you take Tum's for your calcium intake per the article but all the other info is bang on):
*These are not a great source of calcium. They are a simply a great option instead of drinking milk.
It's best to make your own nut milks as most of the store-bought stuff is full of additives like carrageenan that may aggravate your gut and promote inflammation in the gut.
I hope this post answers your questions surround calcium and milk. If not, please do post your questions below and I will be sure to answer them.