There is nothing like a sweet ice cream cone to beat the heat in summer, but for many people who can’t tolerate, or are looking to avoid dairy, options can sometimes be limited. Thank goodness for coconut milk, it has the right fat content that gives this non-dairy ice cream the creaminess that many come to expect, and creates the perfect canvas for dressing up with any of the season’s local produce.
This toasted coconut variety, keeps it simple, playing up the inherent coconut flavour but would be a perfect match with the addition of some raspberries, raw cacao, or bright blueberries.
Making your own ice cream may seem like a lot of work, but it also lets you control the sweetness, and eliminates any preservatives that may be lurking in store bought brands, and really requires nothing more than some serious patience while you wait for everything to chill and freeze.
Toasted Coconut Ice Cream
Select Stars →
- 2 can full fat coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup coconut flakes, toasted
- Combine coconut milk, sugar, and coconut oil in a pot. Gently heat over medium heat until mixture thickens slightly and sugar is completely dissolved (about 5-10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and salt. Check sweetness and adjust as needed.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl, cover and chill in the fridge for at least four hours, preferably overnight.
- While mixture is chilling, freeze bowl for ice cream maker. When mixture is ready place into ice cream maker bowl, and churn according to maker directions. About 2 minutes from the end add toasted coconut flakes.
- Transfer to a freezer proof container and freeze for at least four hours before enjoying.