If you're a regular reader of my blog, you probably already know I love Mediterranean food. Whether I'm choosing a restaurant or choosing what I'm going to cook for dinner, recipes inspired by Italian, Provençal, Greek, Turkish, and North African culinary traditions usually make it to the top of my list.
I'm not only a fan of these dietary traditions because they're so tasty, but also because studies have shown that Mediterranean diets have less-than-joyous symptoms .
Being a nutritionista who counts herself rather handy in the kitchen, I thought I'd tackle the problem head-on by creating a gluten-free flatbread that would be right at home at any tapas. I'm so pleased with how it turned out, but even the tastiest flatbread recipe is a little ho-hum without a great spread to go with it. Since I was on a roll, I went ahead and created a sweet potato hummus that pairs perfectly with this flatbread. I love the rich orange colour the sweet potato gives this recipe. It's so much prettier than your average hummus! It's also higher in antioxidant carotenoids and fibre!
Check out the video below and recipe.
Almond Rosemary Flatbread
Select Stars →
- 1 cup white cheddar or hard goat shredded/grated
- 1 cup almond flour (or ground almonds)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat convection oven setting to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, buckwheat flour, ground flaxseed, garlic powder, dried rosemary and sea salt. In a separate small bowl, combine eggs, oil and water.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and then fold in grated cheese. The batter will be thick and sticky.
- Optional: Combine all ingredients into a food processor and blend until creamy smooth.
- Grease pan with oil or cover with parchment paper. Spread batter onto pan.
- Bake on the convection oven setting for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool, then cut into squares and spread sweet potato hummus on each square.
Sweet Potato Hummus
Select Stars →
- 2 cups of chopped sweet potatoes, skin on
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping spoonfuls tahini paste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread sweet potato on parchment covered baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake sweet potato for 25 minutes.
- Remove sweet potato from oven and let cool. Once cooled, add sweet potatoes to a blender or food processor and blend with remaining ingredients until smooth and creamy.