I am having a mad love affair with this herb - milk thistle. Of all the plants in the kingdom of herbs, this one gets the crown for being the best for liver detoxification. The liver is one of the most important organs in our body. It deserves the respect of a king!
If you do ANY of the following, then milk thistle will benefit your liver:
- Drink alcohol or smoke
- Eat sugar or refined carbs / processed foods
- Take the birth control pill, antibiotics or any other drugs
- Exposed to environmental toxins (home cleaning agents, personal care products etc)
- Exercise outside in a polluted city (breath in car fumes)
Literally hundreds of research studies, mostly in Europe, have confirmed the remarkable ability of milk thistle to protect the liver against any of the above. It has been around and used since ancient times, in fact, it's been used for over 2,000 years! Modern studies prove it is safe for use even in large doses (except of course if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you don't want to be cleansing your liver at the same time).
The active component in milk thistle is called "silymarin" and it is a powerful antioxidant for liver detoxification. Clinical studies prove it is safe for long-term use.
TOP BENEFITS OF MILK THISTLE:
1. Liver detox - from any of the above toxins (clean and better functioning liver = happy all over, better bowel movements ya!)
2. Improves energy metabolism (clean liver = better fat / carb / protein metabolism)
3. Protects your blood from build up of toxins (clean blood = more energy)
4. Protects your liver from future contamination (safe liver = better health of liver as you age)
5. Reduces gallstones & reduces the risk of liver disorders (happy liver = happy you!)
My favourite brand is FLORA, Milk Thistle Plus (80% Silymarin plus herbs). I like this one because it also has Dandelion Root and Artichoke Root Extract, both of which give love to your liver too. Take it in morning and at night. You can get it at any health food stores, and if you are your local supermarket might have it too.
Loving my liver,