This week, Joy is joined by Dr. Laura Markham, a Clinical Psychologist at Columbia University and Founder of Aha! Parenting. She is also the author of Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids; Peaceful Parents, Happy Siblings; and Peaceful Parents, Happy Kids Workbook: Using Mindfulness and Connection to Raise Resilient, Joyful Children and Rediscover your Love of Parenting. Her approach to parenting is inspiring and supportive; she will make you believe in yourself and your ability to raise joyful, resilient children.
Today’s episode focuses on Dr. Laura’s 3 big ideas that parents and caregivers can use so that they can embody peaceful parenting:
- Regulating your own emotions.
- Connecting with your child.
- Coaching your child.
This episode is filled with practical tips for managing parenting situations to create safety and connection between you and your child. You’ll learn the importance of building that connection with your child so they feel understood and can take responsibility for their actions. Kids want to be their best selves and by learning how to connect and coach them, you can help them get there.
Dr. Laura also shares the best piece of advice she didn’t learn in school about how to be an emotionally generous and supportive parent. Whether you’re pregnant, have a toddler, or are raising a teen, her advice will help you become the best parent you can be. You’re going to love this episode and walk away feeling inspired and confident in your ability to connect with your child as a peaceful parent.
- What IS peaceful parenting?
- How your childhood can impact the way that you parent
- The importance of dealing with your emotional baggage
- How the hippocampus and dreamwork help process intense experiences
- 3 simple ideas to become a peaceful parent:
- Regulate your own emotions
- Connect with your child
- Coach your child
- Parenting as a relationship, not a set of strategies
- Creating an environment to help your child thrive
- Modeling behaviour: stay calm to calm your child
- How caregivers can nurture a resilient nervous system in children
- Staying out of fight mode
- How to return your nervous system to a state of calmness
- The importance of breath for managing the stress response
- How to invite communication with your child
- How parent and child relationships set the foundation for future relationships
- Setting limits while helping your child feel understood
- How connection and limits help kids develop self-discipline
- Clear examples of how to put Dr. Laura’s advice into practice.
- Developing a peaceful nighttime routine
- The importance of keeping agreements- both parents and kids!
- How to be an emotionally generous parent by filling your own cup
- The role of meditation to cultivate curiousity and compassion about your relationship
Dr. Laura’s Website: Sign up for her amazing newsletter!
Dr. Laura’s Peaceful Parenting Course
Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids Book
Dr. Laura’s Instagram
Dr. Laura’s Facebook
Dr. Laura’s Twitter
Dr. Laura’s Pinterest