This week, Joy chats with Sisley, Registered Holistic Nutritionist, Acne Coach and Health & Wellness Blogger. She is based in Vancouver, Canada and takes advantage of all the city has to offer to support wellness. Sisley helps women clear their acne naturally through holistic nutrition, skincare, supplementation, lifestyle and mindset. She is the founder of the health and wellness blog, The Pure Life, and has organized and hosted workshops, retreats and group programs for women from around the world.
In this episode Sisley discusses the root cause of acne including the role of digestive health and environmental triggers and even healthy foods that can trigger a breakout! Joy and Sisley share so much wisdom about how to prevent breakouts, treat acute flare ups, and live a balanced life free of the food fear that so many people with acne experience.
If you’ve been struggling with breakouts or acne and are looking for clear, actionable steps you can take to support healthy skin, you won’t want to miss this episode. Sisley’s approach to nutrition and skin health is realistic and grounded in research and experience. So settle in with a glass of this gut-loving Golden Elixir and your pen and paper because you won’t want to miss a single skin-loving tip!
- The health journey that inspired her to become an acne-focused nutritionist.
- How she followed her intuition when all her test results came back inconclusive.
- How her life changed forever after going to nutrition school.
- The steps she took to heal her digestive issues.
- What androgen hormones are and how they can impact acne development.
- What role a healthy gut plays in the prevention of acne.
- Why most people struggle with gut health.
- The power of the microbiome in managing acne and mental health.
- The role of the microbiome in estrogen metabolism.
- The importance of hormonal detoxification after taking the birth control pill.
- Why having a BM 1-3 times a day is key to optimal health.
- What your breakout locations can tell you about your acne triggers.
- Her best tips to support digestive health.
- Why it’s important to think about HOW we’re eating, not just what we’re eating.
- The changes you can make to your diet after you heal your gut.
- Why patience is important when healing your digestion.
- The different types of casein found in dairy and why that matters.
- Better alternatives to cow dairy if you have acne.
- The top 3 most common food triggers for acne
- How sugar impacts the gut microbiome and cravings.
- The connection between blood sugar balance and acne.
- Sisley’s recommendations for banishing sugar cravings.
- Why a protein-rich breakfast is the key to blood sugar balance.
- What to look for in an acne-friendly protein powder.
- Why maca may not be the best superfood for acne-prone skin.
- What healthy foods can trigger acne breakouts.
- The psychological impact of acne.
- The #1 thing she suggests you start TODAY for healthy skin.
- What happens when you pick your skin.
- Sisley’s recommendations for treating an acute breakout.
- The lifestyle factors that can impact gut and skin health.
- Why she’s a fan of the 80/20 approach to food.
- The importance of whole foods in the diet.
- What foods and supplements are best for preventing acne.
- What 2 supplements to be careful with if you are prone to acne.
- Sisley’s thoughts on the nutrient DIM.
- Her favourite hormone balancing supplement- EstroSmart.
- Why it’s helpful to switch up your probiotics.
The Pure Life Instagram
The Pure Like TikTok
Free Guide: 6 Steps to Clear Skin
The Pure Life Website
Sisley’s Acne Protocol: The Complete Guide
1:1 Acne Coaching with Sisley
Clear Skin Recipes
Acne Tips on The Pure Life Blog