I was chatting with my mom this morning and she told me about this free health magazine she gets from the grocery store. It had a great article on the health reasons to have more sex. So I thought to myself, this is something I need to write about!
I must preface post this by saying to those who are single and might not be getting busy with anyone else, that there's no reason you can't have fun on your own (like I need to tell you this)! And furthermore, I know single people who have more orgasms than couples -- so your "status" doesn't make a diff. Just get busy will ya, because the health reasons to "do it" are abundant.
1. Mood Boosting! Getting busy (even if you don't actually have an orgasm) releases endorphins and oxytocin (the "love" hormone) which are feel good chemicals that relieve depression and anxiety. Have you ever noticed that you don't feel like pounding back a pint of cookie dough ice cream after a rump in the bedroom? Thanks to those happy brain chemicals!
2. Strengthens your digestive system (indirectly). Having sex tones certain muscles, in particular those that support your bowels - your pelvic muscles. Also, having sex tones your kegel muscles which supports the bladder and helps to prevent pee problems like when you sneeze and you pee your pants (yes, this is actually quite common, especially for women). And of course, sex can be a good workout -- you burn calories, work your cardiovascular system (just make sure you share the "work" -- well, it's not really work, but you know what I mean). Don't be a wet noodle in the bedroom!
3. Stress-buster. In stress tests, including public speaking and doing mental arithmetic out loud, the people who had no sex at all had the highest stress levels, according to a study. People who had sex had the smallest rise in blood pressure.
4. Boosts your immune system. Theres a definite link between how often you have sex and how strong your immune system is, researchers say. A study in Pennsylvania found that students who had sex once or twice a week had higher levels of an important illness-fighting substance in their bodies that reduces the cold and flu.
5. Gives you a healthy glow. Orgasms release the beautifying anti-aging hormone DHEA, which not only works as an antidepressant, but promotes tissue repair tissue and keeps your skin looking healthy. Plus, getting your heart rate up increases your circulation and you have a youthful red-cheeked glow for hours.
Next week I will give you five more reasons to have more sex, including reduces the risk of dementia and prostate cancer.