This past long weekend was Thanksgiving in Canada. For many of us, this may have meant overindulging in turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes and one too many helpings of pumpkin pie. If this describes you, don't feel guilty about it. Get back on track today and don't waste another second thinking about it. Feeling guilty is only going to stress you out and negative thinking will only push you further away from reaching your goals.
Here's my 3-step plan to get on track:
1. Start the week out right by planning your snacks. I know you are busy throughout the week, and this is precisely why you want to organize what you will eat during breaks at work. Instead of running to starbucks for a latte and a muffin that sends your blood sugar on a roller coaster leading to eventual cravings and weight gain, aim for one of these healthy snacks:
- 1 Gluten-free muffin. recipe here )
- 1/2 cup organic yogurt with 1/4 nuts, seeds and dried cranberries
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder & 1 cup of almond milk
- 5 organic apricots and 10 raw almonds
2. Avoid mindless evening eating. Do not eat 2-3 hours before bed and if you have to snack avoid carbohydrate snacks like a bowl of cheerios, right before bed. If you are starving before bed and you've already drank a large glass of water with lemon, then try 2 spoonfuls of yogurt or 10 raw almonds - this is sure to cut the craving. Foods with good fat are your secret weapon for curbing cravings.
3. Make a plan to workout a least 3 times this week! Get your booty to the gym and sweat. This will be good for your body and your mind. Exercise increases your confidence and gets you out of a negative rut if you are feeling a case of the blahs after a weekend of eating. Think of this way, if you spend 30 minutes doing yoga, running on the treadmill or lifting weights, that is ONLY 30 minutes of your entire 24 hour day. Surely you can make time for this. If you spend any time watching tv then you definitely have time for exercise.
Now stop feeling like a turkey and take these tips to heart. Your booty and waistline will thank you for it!