We are a family of pizza lovers over here! I called this crust the "best-ever" because it does not disappoint! We make this more than any other recipe in the McJordan home. The crust is so delicious, you could just drizzle it with olive oil once it's baked and eat it as flatbread. But adding toppings truly makes it a whole and fulfilling meal.
This pizza crust is gluten-free and grain-free. The almonds add good fat to make it very satiating.
Since we love this recipe, 5 years after I added it to the blog, we are still making it regularly so I decided to create a video with Vienna so you can watch how to make it. Just scroll down to the bottom for the full recipe. ENJOY!
7 Reasons this is the Best Pizza Crust Ever:
- The base of this crust is ground almonds which means a source of satiating protein, good fats and very low on the glycemic index. So you won't be reaching for a piece of pie after eating this pizza.
- Almonds are full of antioxidant-rich vitamin E and stress-busting magnesium.
- FULL of flavour. The original recipe called for onion powder, since I don't use onion powder (always use fresh raw onions) I just added in more organic garlic powder.
- Fiber-rich. The almonds are a great source of fibre, as is the garbanzo flour (chickpea) and the flaxseeds. Since I had a mixture of chia and flax in my freezer, that's what I used. Fibre fills up your belly so you stay fuller longer. It also adds some nice bulk to your stools so you have joyous bowel movements. And of course, fibre slows the release of glucose into the bloodstream.
- It was a pick-up-and-eat crust!
- I loved it as much as I love cauliflower pizza!
- It doesn't make you bloated!
I hope you try it out and love it as much as I did. It makes a 12-inch pizza crust so if you have a family to feed, I would suggest making 2. We had enough for two people plus lunch the next day. Or two adults plus a child would be well nourished from 1 pizza.
The inspiration for this recipe came from the Wheat Belly blog but I made some modifications to it.
Mains & Sides
Best Gluten-free Pizza Crust Ever
Select Stars →
- 1 3/4 cups ground almonds
- 1/2 cup garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
- 1 cup shredded hard goat cheese (aka goat cheddar)
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed*
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- Dash of sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In food processor or food chopper, pulse or chop goat cheese until becomes granular size. Add ground almonds, flour, flaxseed, garlic powder and salt. Blend together. Remove and place in a large bowl and combine remaining ingredients: eggs, oil and water, mix thoroughly.
- Spread large sheet of parchment paper over a cookie sheet. Place dough on parchment paper and spread around with a spatula. Or place dough onto a pizza stone and spread out to desired thickness.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with whatever you like! Kale pesto, pizza sauce, chopped peppers, spinach.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
*I've made this pizza many times and forgotten to add the flax, so if you don't have this ingredient don't worry, it will still work!
Be sure to share your food photos with me on twitter or instagram, just tag me @joyoushealth. I love seeing how many people are eating joyously!! woohoo!