Walker and I love a restaurant in Toronto called Tabule. It's middle eastern, healthy and delicious food! One of my favourite menu items there is the falafel salad with tahini. This recipe is inspired by that dish.
As you might have noticed, this is a recipe in Eat Clean Body Lean our 21-day fitness & nutrition program that is now available!
Mains & Sides
Falafel Portobello Burger
Select Stars →
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin and ground coriander each
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 1⁄2-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 2 whole eggs (Can’t eat eggs? Combine 2 tbsp of ground flax or ground chia and 1/3 cup water. Let sit until it becomes egg-like, about 3-5 minutes.)
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds aka “almond flour”
- Optional: 6 whole Portobello mushrooms
- TAHINI SAUCE
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup tahini (sesame-seed paste)
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Combine all the burger ingredients into a food processor (or mash with a potato masher) and process until smooth. Divide burger mixture into 6 patties. Let sit in fridge for 1 hour as it helps the burgers to solidify.
- Cook on a greased fry pan on medium heat for 5 minutes each side or until outside is nicely golden.
- To make tahini sauce, place ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- For the Portobello mushroom either grill or pan sear until warm.
- To serve, place burger on top of the portobello and drizzle with sauce! Makes 6 burgers.
As always, share your creations with me on instagram or twitter @JoyousHealth hashtag #joyoushealth ! Have a joyous day!