Dear joyous readers!
I was inspired to create this wonderful cheesecake the other weekend eying all the beautiful berries at the farmers market. Originally I was going to create a strawberry cheesecake but since strawberry season is just ending and I would rather you use local berries if possible.
Cheesecake brings back memories of shopping at St. Lawrence Market and picking up a slice of New York style cheesecake - so dense and delicious. Now that I'm a nutritionist and realize the number of people who have dairy intolerances (including myself) I want you to have your cake and eat it too.
The best part about this recipe is that you can make it with any berry you want! If you are reading this recipe and it's winter where you live (hello Aussie friends!) then you can always thaw frozen berries too.
Rawkin' Raspberry Cheesecake
Select Stars →
- 10-12 soft medjol dates
- 2 cups walnuts
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 cups cashews (no salt, unroasted) Soaked for a few hours or overnight.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup raspberries
- Optional: ¼ cup honey or maple syrup if raspberries are too tart (give it a taste test once it's been blended)
- Discard the water the cashews were soaked in and rinse them.
- To make the bottom, place the dates, walnuts, shredded coconut and cinnamon in a food processor or blender and blend away until it forms a smoother texture, but still a bit crumbly.
- Press this mixture into a 9? spring form pan (if you don't have this size, just remember the smaller the pan the thicker the crust and the larger the pan the thinner the crust). Place it in the freezer and chill while you prepare the cheesecake filling.
- To make the filling, place the soaked cashews, coconut oil, vanilla and raspberries in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove the chilled bottom from the freezer and top with the raspberry cheesecake filling.
- Cover and freeze until solid, several hours or overnight.
- If you've frozen the cheesecake overnight you may need to let it thaw a couple of hours in the fridge. Garnish with a few raspberries!
Breakfast, snack or dessert, this dairy-free, gluten-free cheesecake will go fast in my home because the options for enjoying the Rawkin' Raspberry Cheesecake!
Have a joyous day!