If you’re looking for an energizing salad to give you and your immune system a boost, look no further than this “Spiced-Up” Quinoa and Kale salad. The spicy curry dressing adds a creamy touch to this protein-packed dish, and uses anti-inflammatory turmeric to give your body some awesome health benefits. The tangy element from the marinated onions and sundried tomatoes go really nicely with the sweet raisins and crunchy carrots, and the quinoa base makes this dish a great lunch for busy days, or a satisfying dinner!
I’m sure you have heard a lot about kale lately and you are probably wondering why it’s so good. It is a wonderful veggie because it is a rich source of antioxidants which fight cell damaging free-radicals. Kale is great for the summer because it contains carotenoids that act like sunglasses by filtering UV light and preventing damage to the eyes.
“Spiced –Up” Quinoa and Kale Salad
Select Stars →
- For the salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch of kale, washed, dried, chopped with stems removed
- 3 carrots, grated
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
- 1 cup goat feta cheese, crumbled or cubed *optional
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- For the Creamy Curry Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp white pepper, or to taste
- Place quinoa in a pot and add 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- Place the red onions in the balsamic vinegar and toss to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. Discard any remaining liquid.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together and whisk or process in a food processor until mixed.
- Place the kale in a large bowl and massage with the dressing. Top with the cooled quinoa, carrots, celery, raisins, sundried tomatoes, goat feta, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds and enjoy.
Hope you love this salad recipe as much as I do!
What's your favourite way to spice up a recipe? Let us know in the comments below!